Over many years of experience, First Night Chatham has developed these policies which guide much of what we do and how we do it:
- Everyone buys a button – there are no give-aways. We have no special packages for sponsors. Even the committee members purchase their own buttons. This has greatly simplified our accounting procedures and estimates of crowds.
- To avoid overcrowding, we limit button sales. As we added venues over the course of earlier years, we increased the number of buttons sold. In recent years we have continued to limit button sales to 6,000 adults and 1,500 children.
- Whenever possible we try to use First Night as an opportunity for young artists to perform. And we have tried to maintain a balance between local artists and entertainers and those from afar.
- To the extent possible, we try to pay our entertainers for their talents. In the first few years, many of the entertainers agreed to perform for a very small stipend ($25) and several declined to accept this token payment. They considered their performance to be their gift to the community. But that was over 25 years ago, and the Entertainment budget is now very substantial. We continue to want to reward our artists and entertainers for their talents and for what they do to make our world brighter and more interesting.
- We strive to have a variety of entertainment for families and people of all ages.
- All Sales Are Final.
- There are no exchanges or refunds